Monday, April 25, 2011

I've lost my mind

I think I've lost my mind.  I spoke with a cousin last night that I am very close to.  We laughed and joked about my desperate and failed attempts to use a coupon and be a savy shopper.  I also jokingly told her that I have an addictive personality.  Well maybe obsessive is a better word.  I was so bummed about yesterday's Sunday paper not having any coupons.  I just kept thinking about the fact that I purchased a Sunday paper last week for my mother in law and left it at her house.  I was certain that her paper was still in the recycled paper box in her garage.....the obsession was on.   I debated in my mind between waiting for next Sunday's paper or going to reclaim my coupons!  I laughed with my cousin about how ridiculous it was that I was even debating of going to my mother in laws to reclaim an old paper.
So what did I do???

I called my mother in law today and she was home....so I went over there.  I picked her brain about tips for being more frugal and then I lost it.....I did far more damage than planned.....I started crying.  I have no idea what happened.  I told her that it's hard for me to budget and I hate it.  I told her I wanted to try Dave Ramsey's plan and I asked her advice about it.  She and my father in law have been through the Financial Peace University.  I felt like such an idiot....there I was sitting in front of my mother in law....crying about money.   My husband and I never talk about money with anyone other than each other and we don't do really well with that!  So this was dreadful.  She was of course really nice....surprised....and I think didn't know how to react.  She asked if our mortgage was being paid on time and how bad things were....which in all reality they aren't THAT bad.....I just feel like they are. 

I did manage to leave with my coupons from my old paper but in the end it felt a little ridiculous.  I went there for my coupons....ended up making a crying idiot of myself...probably scaring my mother in law since this is quite out of character for me (as far as they know) ....and left.

I've lost my  mind.

4 comments:

  1. You haven't lost your mind. We've probably all been stressed to the point of venting to people we don't normally vent to. And if she's been through FPU then she's probably been there too. She can see that you are serious about changing your financial future and she might just become a great cheerleader for you. Hugs!

    (on a side note since I changed my blog address the link in your blog list will no longer work and will require updating. Thanks so much!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stress, it's ok! It might seem hard but we've all been there before! Budgeting and gaining control of your finances isn't instant you don't wake up one day and become financially savvy like "Give me back my five bucsks" or "No more spending" its a long process of learning what works for you.

    Sometimes its good to get the stress out and as 2 B debt free said she may become a good cheerleader for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and thank you for saying hello on my blog.

    It's good to let the stress out and having the support of your family is really important. I'm sure that your MIL didn't mind at all. It's great that she's done FPU as well and can probably offer advice?

    Looking forward to following your journey to debt freedom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your supportive words. When my husband got home I started crying again and telling him what happened. He of course was totally supportive and said it was always ok to talk to our parents. That is what they are for.

    I appreciate my blog friends nice words. It means so much to see them come across my email and the support is wonderful. Thank you all so much.

    ReplyDelete